5 things that will make #IABC18 an unforgettable World Conference
More than ever, the World Conference team has been working hard to evolve IABC’s annual meeting of minds to give everyone who attends a superb experience. Our theme this year—“The Communication Crossroads”—has given us a platform to explore the major (and relevant) issues facing communication professionals around the world. Over the coming weeks, we’ll look at these in more detail, but to kick off the series, here are five things we are doing this year to make your experience unforgettable.
- Big general sessions. We have listened to the feedback and worked hard to secure some big names who will speak on inspirational topics. Seth Godin will get us off to a great start, helping us look at communication in the age of disruption. Anab Jain will follow as she imagines and builds future worlds we can experience in the present moment. We will soon be announcing the rest of the line-up, so stay tuned!
- Unconference. At last year’s conference we explored a participatory World Café session. This year, we’re stepping it up a notch, turning over our Tuesday afternoon to something we’re calling the “unconference.” Delegates will choose between one of four options: open space conversations (unstructured content, based around common interests); Game Changer talks (non-communication topics with insights from other disciplines); Shift: Group Mentoring with IABC Fellows; and offsite experiences (company visits, artistic adventures or some downright fun!).
- Award-winning examples. We are integrating examples from our Gold Quill Award winners to share the best in communication skills and management from around the world. You’ll be able to learn from the winners and pick their brains live on site.
- Our location. For the first time, the conference will be held in a convention centre. No doubt it will be just as maze-like as the hotels we have been hosted at previously, but there should at least be a little more daylight than we are used to! The Palais des Congrès is a stunning venue, located between the beautiful Old Port, the cosmopolitan downtown and the bustling financial district.
- You! It goes without saying that the conference would not be what it is without the amazing professionals who make the journey to conference each year. The connections that are made during the sessions—in the vendor/sponsor Hub or simply in the hallways—can last a lifetime. We very much hope that you will make your mark and join us at the Communication Crossroads.
This piece is from Neil Griffiths, ABC, Chart.PR, 2018 IABC World Conference Chair.